Re: Buddhist / Bardon

Message 03183 of 3835

Derrick, David, and group;

As way of disclaimer, I did practice Bardon's system for some time
before moving on to other practices, including vipassana. I did
complete step One, and may be able to shed a little light on the
subject. I did not find that Buddhist meditation could be used as a
subsitute for Bardon's exercises.

Vipassana meditation is different from the beginning exercises. It
is not about keeping your attention exclusively on one object, nor is
it letting thoughts pass by. It is a state of attentive awareness
with a focal point. Rather than intense, one-pointed concentration,
it is described as a shallow concentration on the breath with a
relaxed, but fully present attention on everything that arises in the
mental field. The attention will drift, and be brought back to the
breath again and again. The purpose of vipassana is to see things
just as they are, while the mental exercises in Step One aim at
cultivating specific mental states in preparation for further steps.
It is supposed to effect a balance in two related mental states
simultaneously: concentration and awareness. This state is also
practiced in daily life.

As Jason pointed out, Buddhist mindfulness practices may produce
results, but generally these results are not the result of specific
intention. Bringing attention itself may produce transformations, but
these transformations may be other than expected. There are other
Buddhist practices which, like Bardon's steps, are aimed at specific
results; however according to many experienced Buddhists such
practices themselves can not produce insight. Accordingly, they are
used as supplements generally at later stages.

The primary philosophical difference between the systems, at least
at the early stages, is that vipassana seeks to see things as they
are, and allow things to unfold on their own whereas Bardon's system
aims at producing specific changes through the use of effort and
intention. The final result may be the same, but the methods used are
different, and in my opinion, opposing. As such, one path may
undermine the other, like trying to cross a lake with each foot on a
separate boat. My personal advice, for what it's worth, would be to
choose the path that fits you rather than try to combine two
different paths.

mj

Main Index | Thread Index