Re: Buddhist / Bardon

Message 03184 of 3835

mj,

It has been my experience that Thought Control is exactly what you
say vipassana is, "fully present attention on everything that arises
in the mental field," with the aim to "see things as they are." It
has been precisely my desire to treat the exercise as merely a
stepping stone to greater deeds, a way of "producing specific changes
through the use of effort and intention," that has given me great
difficulty with this exercise that is, if anything, about thought
observation and not control. Returning again and again to this
exercise has taught me how to see things more clearly and with less
attachment. I see no real difference between the techniques of
Thought Control and vipassana other than the specification of an
object of concentration in the latter; the apparent difference, I
believe, is in presentation -- I think Bardon tended to describe end-
states without detailing as much the intervening territory or the
process, whereas Buddhism is full of detailed instruction -- and more
in overall philosophical emphasis, as you mentioned. Either way it
seems very valuable to me and I can understand why it is one of the
first things in Bardon's system and a primary practice of Buddhism.

David

Main Index | Thread Index