Re: Re: Ch & Th

Message 03191 of 3835

<center>93
The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of The Bible, uses the Th sound in the
pronunciation of the letter Tav without Dagesh Lene (the little dot inside).
With Dagesh Lene it sounds like Tea same as the letter Tet(h). Strong's
Concordance was first written during the 1800's by James Strong. The late
1800's being the time of authors such as Fortune, Crowley and Mathers... I
believe the Qabbalist pronunciation comes also from that era.

In biblical times up until about A.D. 500 pronunciation was passed on as an
oral tradition. A group of Jewish scholars called Masoretes developed pointed
text to carry on the sounds (because Hebrew was becoming an unspoken language).
Today pointing is used in text books to show which vowel sound should follow a
consonant and how long or short that sound should be. Pointed text is called
Masoretic text.

Oh some examples:
HaThaL (to deride, to cheat) 435
Heh (qames) Tav -Dagesh Lene (patah) Lamed
HiTooK (is melted) 905
Heh (hireq) Tav +Dagesh Lene (Sureq) final Kaf (sheva)

Mind you I do not know Hebrew, though I am learning...

Lucien37
93 93/93</center>