Re: Ch & Th

Message 03188 of 3835

Dear Robert,

Just a couple of notes (and perhaps a few pointers that non-Hebrew
speakers may find interesting/useful):

1. The letter chet is always pronouced as a guttural "ch" as
in "Bach" or "loch" as opposed to the letter "he" which is always
pronouced as the "h" in "hello". One point to note (if you are
reading Hebrew) is that if you see a word with a chet at the end and
a patach vowel point underneath (the horizontal line), the final
syllable of the word is pronounced "aCH" rather than "CHa".

2. Tzaddi is always pronouced "ts" as in "meets". I've heard people
pronounce the word "tsar" is a number of different ways so its not
always the best example to give.

3. yod is always pronouced as "y" as in "yellow". As someone noted
before, there is no equivalent for the letter J.

4. The letter bet can have either a "b" or a "v" sound depending on
whether there is a dot inside the letter (b) or not (v). (see
www.akhlah.com/Aleph_Bet/bet/bet.asp. Apologies for using a child's
website to illustrate this - it was the first reference I found on
google). I would be interested to know if there are different
correspondences to "bet" than there are to "vet".

5. Whilst Qabbalists often transliterate the letter tav as "Th", I
have never seen the letter pronouced as "th" (although it might have
been in biblical times). Generally, it is pronouced as "t" as
in "tea" although Jews from Northern Europe often pronounced it
as "s".

Kindest regards

Dan

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Robert 3 EEE"
<rapid3robert2000@y...> wrote:

> Can someone help on this?
> I some times find it difficult to sound out the letters correctly
as per Bardon for example the Ch sound, is it a guttural sound like
some of the Hebrews and Germans do from the back of their throat or
Ch as in chance ? Tzaddi is apparently Cz as in Czar and Sh or Sch
can sound like Sh as I understand it.

> It appears to me that the Yud is a J sound as in John and the I is
I as in machine . I think the Y in the word Young is a soft Yud or
J ! ?

> In Bardon/Hermetic sounds is there a Th sound with a note and
color ?

> The Hebrew Hei and Chet sure sound similar to me except the Chet
is harder (raspy) and from the back of throat.