Re: Re: Buddhist / Bardon

Message 03195 of 3835

Dear Jason,

>> I see the distinction here and would like to ask: why do you think
Derrick
found his mindfulness disappearing when he practiced Step 1 as opposed
to the zazen of before? Is it because one has to re-learn without the
breath? <<

To begin with, Zazen practice is not about attentively observing the
surface mind -- it's about attentively ignoring the surface mind -- so
detached *observation* would be a different skill in regard to Zazen and
have different results than sitting Zazen.

Additionally, the first mental exercise doesn't exist in a vacuum of
practice -- there's also the concurrent work of developing the Soul
Mirror. As has often been noted, drawing up the positive and negative
lists of character traits can cause turmoil in the student's psyche
which often manifests itself as blockages to progress in other areas of
practice.

By the way, I see no conflict in practicing the Step One exercises *and*
sitting Zazen or practicing Vipassana, so long as there is a separation
between them and a clear understanding of their differences in context,
method and aim.