Re: The first excercise

Message 03408 of 3835

LVX

I would begin by reccomending doing all three parts of Step I.
Each part of each step strengthens the other parts of that same step,
and prepares you for the next one. Bardon is a genius in this matter,
and few have publish books of self-initiation backed by much
experience with the clarity he has, with this perfect mixture of
exercizes that develops alongside each-other so smoothly. But doing
all three parts is a must for full development and a real
understanding of the different exercizes themselves.

Though Bardon gets into this anyways in a more subtle and
indirect way, i would say that the two most important things for
anyone seeking meditation are Asana (control of body) and Pratyahara
(control of breath). Without Asana, you have no foundation from which
to begin, without Pratyahara you have no materials from which to
build.

Your Asana is your bodily position for meditation, once chosen,
stick with it until it becomes second nature, then you can try
others. Half Lotus is usually ideal, as it has a balance of disapline
and relaxation which is good to begin with. Pain will come, and it
will go, but whats important is to stick with it, and be able to hold
it for at least 30 minutes at a time. Eventually youll get used to
it, and have the pleasure of painfully breaking yourself into an
entirely different position!

Pratyahara can be accomplished through any form of rythmic
breathing. Counting timed-breaths in and out works well, of which
there is alot of information available online. Or saying a mantra to
a timed internal beat works also. Anything which unites breath and
mind, because it takes mental focus to be able to consistantly
rythmic breathe, or say mantras without faultering and without
getting lost in day-dreams. Thus your passively controlling thoughts
by having a simple, but powerfull goal. Accomplishment of Pratyahara
combined with Asana will put you in a perfect position to begin
working on thought control more actively. But its never easy.
Meditational thought control is possibly the most frustrating thing
in magickal development. But also one of the most worthwhile things
to develop.

LVX
Frater ha-sufah

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "sineadoconnorfan"
<sineadoconnorfan@y...> wrote:

> Hi, yes it does help. From you said it's clear to me that you
> understood the problem as I was describing it and so gave a reply
or
> answer that was helpful. I actually just had a image thought that
> didn't consciously intentionally will. The other problem that I
> have with this excercise is not getting involved in the stream of
> thoughts and cutting them off or stopping them. Do you have any
> suggestions on that? Thanks again.
>
> Ardeshir
>
> --- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Photon" <shadowphoton@y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > LVX
> >
> > Not all thoughts are provoked by our will. Maybe a memory
> will
> > arise unbidden, unasked for. Maybe a good one, maybe a bad one.
Or
> > you associate one thing with another, thoughts comeing forth, one
> > after another. Most peoples entire days are filled with nothing
> but
> > this, a circle of thoughts, one thought, shaping from one thing
> > another.
> >
> > Watch your mind, any sound, any idea, any music stuck in
your
> > head, even the thought, the idea "im watching my mind". Your a
> part
> > of it all, but how much of that stuff did you Will into your
mind?
> > You have to relax your will and the grip/control you think you
> have
> > of your mind. Try to dispell those things, all of them, and exist
> > purely as one with the things around you, in the moment, or even
> one
> > of them. Try just for a few moments, and youll see that you dont
> have
> > has much of a grip/active role in your mind and thoughts as one
> would
> > think. The song comes back, the imagery keeps going, the thoughts
> > keep changing thier shape.
> >
> > One you can see how you have less control than you think,
the
> > first step to control is the first step itself, which is to watch
> > these thoughts. Dont tell them to do anything, dont stop them if
> they
> > become unpleasant or boring, because those things in itself will
> > bring more thoughts. The mind responds to emotional stimuli, and
> vice-
> > versa. In other words, you dont have to will anything because it
> will
> > just happen, because already your thoughts have a 'will' of thier
> own
> > until you get further in the exercizes and can begin to shape
them
> > and move them with your will.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > LVX
> > Frater ha-sufah
> >
> > --- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "sineadoconnorfan"
> > <sineadoconnorfan@y...> wrote:
> > >
> > > But if anyone can give me a specific clarification of my
problem
> > > with the first excercise I would appreciate it. My problem is
> that
> > > I don't see how we can have a train of thought without being
> > > actively involved in imagining it, so then I don't understand
> how
> > we
> > > can be detached from a train of thought when a train of thought
> > > requires active participation in imagining it. Thanks for your
> > help.
> > >
> > > Ardeshir

Main Index | Thread Index