Re: Digest Number 638

Message 03464 of 3835

Dear Paulo,

>> I had more or less the same opinion as you do (that is, hey, even mr
bardon did it so it cannot be that bad) <<

I don't believe that John actually used this as a justification. In
fact, I didn't understand any of what he wrote as a justification or
excuse for smoking tobacco. :) To my mind, he seemed to merely be
asking a question about Eucharistic magic.

>> but Mr. Bardon was not a normal guy and he could probably disperse
all ill effects of smoking with one single meditation. <<

Be that as it may or may not be, speculation aside you must remember
that Bardon lived in the first part of the last century -- before
commercial cigarettes where filled with chemicals. The detrimental
effects of smoking *organically grown* tobacco are far, far different
than the well documented ill effects of smoking *commercial cigarettes*.
The chemicals used to grow commercial tobacco, the chemicals it is
treated with in processing, the chemicals that are intentionally added
to make the cigarette more physically addictive and the chemicals
gassed-off by the *filter* when heated by hot smoke *are* indeed very,
very harmful. But Bardon lived and smoked in a time when these toxic
chemicals were not a part of "smoking". Additionally, according to
"Memories of Franz Bardon", he smoked a special blend of tobacco and
other herbs. There are many herbs that help the body counteract the
detrimental effects of smoking tobacco and my guess would be that one or
more of those herbs were in his special blend. :)

Also noted in "Memories" is that Bardon smoked tobacco specifically for
the stimulating effects of nicotine. He purportedly quit smoking
periodically to strengthen his will and to assure himself that he was in
control of the physically and psychologically addictive aspects of
nicotine and the habit of smoking.

>> I, on the other hand, cannot. <<

Good! :) We should never use the example of another's behaviour as a
"justification" or "excuse" for our own behaviour -- especially when we
are only guessing at the other person's motivations. The Soul Mirror
teaches us that we must be the deciders of our own behaviour, based upon
our own self-knowledge and self-choice.

>> For me, smoking is not about the physical problems it brings (and it
does bring) but it is more about self control and being in control,
opposite of being controlled by it. My major turning point was when I
decided to stop. The first few days where really bad, but after a week
or so I could feel the difference. After a month, I thought I was
behaving very well and I decided to smoke one cigarette. Since then, I
have been on and off, but every time I start/stop is with
more consciousness about it and less addiction. For times I feel I
change the polarity of it, going from absolute anti-smoking fanatic to
compulsive smoker. Right now I think the real issue is the consciousness
of the act, and the perception of the loss of self-control when smoking
(i.e. urge to smoke without being my real will; an addiction without
being wanted). <<

The central issue is whether or not you have really decided to quit.
When you *really* decide to do it, *nothing* will dissuade you, not even
the weasely inner voice with which you convince yourself it's okay to
have "just one". :) And of course, as with the transformation of any
habit, you must create an alternative *positive* habit to replace the
*negative* habit.

>> I am not sure what is Rawn's path on smoking, but I'm almost sure he
will agree that in any smoker's Soul Mirror there will be dozens, if not
hundreds, of minor reasons for smoking, usually in the negative side.
(lack of self-confidence, lack of self-control, boredom, etc...) <<

Well, the reasons for giving up that control to the substance of
addiction in the first place are usually *major* Soul Mirror issues, not
minor ones. ;-) But those can (and if one is to pursue initiation,
they *must*) be addressed and resolved. That is part of the Soul Mirror
*work* of character transformation.

In so far as *my* personal "path on smoking" goes, I find that smoking
filterless, hand rolled (by my hands) organic tobacco is very
pleasurable and very beneficial on a number of levels. I employ a
variety of herbs in my life, one of which is tobacco. :) The essential
oils and more volatile parts of organically grown tobacco, ingested
through the smoking process, have personally useful effects upon my body
which I consciously use to my advantage. I successfully counter the
negative effect upon my lungs with herbal expectorants and the art of
creative coughing. :) I am not so vain as to care what anyone thinks
of my stained teeth and I am circumspect with my tobacco scented
presence and breath when in public. I am very respectful of others when
I smoke in public and expect others to be equally respectful when they
visit my smoke filled home. :)

While I do experience a physical addiction to nicotine (i.e., when I
stop smoking I experience physical withdrawal), I do not experience an
emotional addiction, having resolved that aspect of "smoking" many years
ago. So for *me*, it is not a negative experience. I *enjoy* smoking
and for *me* the benefits *I* reap from the experience far outweigh any
physical detriment. :)

>> Regarding impregnation, I personally think that when you are
consciently and knowingly inhaling something harmful, it is quite hard
to impregnate that moment with a positive thing. Even if this happens at
the sub-conscient level (which is much more powerful than our conscient
level, I think). <<

You're partially correct. :) You cannot do so with something you are
*psychologically addicted to*, because is that case your subconscious
mind will truly counteract any positive effect.

However, if you are ingesting something such as a Big Mac for example,
which you *know* is bad for you, it is still possible (assuming you're
not addicted to them) to impregnate it with your usual positive
ideation. :) Or if you're taking a medication that has negative
"side-effects" that you're aware of, you can successfully impregnate the
medication with an ideation that you will not be severely affected by
those side-effects.