Re: Re: Incorporating Self-defense in Hermetic Practices

Message 03689 of 3835

Dear Jon,

>> I've had a similar question brewing. After reading Frabato, and in
particular
"While they were being flogged, Quintscher lost his self-control. He
uttered a Kabbalistic formula, whereupon the torturers were immediately
paralyzed completely."
I've been wondering whether it is acceptable to use magic for
self-defence (not that I'm anywhere near being able to do that :) ). Why
does this show a loss of self-control? Isn't protection from physical
harm allowed? <<

A true Kabbalist acts as a temporal agent of Divine Providence within
the temporal realm whenever uttering a Kabbalistic formula. This means
that the motivation for uttering the formula must *always* be rooted in
some sort of Divine imperative. In the example of Quintscher's act, his
use of the formula was rooted in his emotional reaction to what he was
witnessing and not in any Divine imperative, thus signifying a loss of
emotional self-control. In other words, he placed his own emotional
needs above the responsibility inherent to the use of such a high power
as that of a Kabbalistic formula and therefore debased the gift given to
him by Divine Providence. The karmic consequences of such a loss of
self-control are very far reaching and can take many lifetimes to
redeem.

This is why it always dismays me when I hear of folks playing around
with the work of KTQ before they have truly undertaken the preparatory
work and attained to the degree of self-control necessary.

>> I've been wondering whether it is acceptable to use magic for
self-defence <<

Ethically, the "lower" magics may be used for protection of self and
others so long as this does not ever involve the causing of harm. The
"higher" magics (such as Kabbalistic formulae) however, may only be used
when there is a Divine imperative to do so.