Re: Awareness during 'empty mind'

Message 03715 of 3835

Dear Go,

>> Since time is short before the end of this group, I need to ask for
some help before it's too late! <<

:) As far as the future availability of my advice is concerned, you
will still be able to contact to me personally by visiting
http://www.ABardonCompanion.com/Contact.html.

>> From this perspective it would seem that I should be fully aware of
myself sitting doing/thinking nothing - simply 'being'. But on the other
hand I wonder if this awareness actually counts as thinking, and if it
is therefore something I should be trying not to do? <<

This exercise will teach you the difference between *being* and
*thinking*. Awareness encompasses far more than just thinking and this
exercise is meant to reveal what exists of awareness beyond the limits
of thinking. The emptiness reveals the more essential *perceiving*
awareness which "thinking" subsequently interprets. So the *only* thing
you "do" in this exercise is perceive your own being. One thing you
*don't* do, is think about the fact that you're perceiving your own
being. ;-) But also, you're not actively warding off thoughts about
what you're doing or not doing. Instead, *all* that you are focused
upon is *being*. For the most part, success in this state of awareness
is rooted in how well you have let go of your attachment to, and habit
of, thinking. If you completely let go of the need to think and the
habit of identifying yourself exclusively as your thoughts, and can
completely ignore what ever transpires within your surface mind, then
you will experience the emptiness of mind state.

The biggest barrier to success with this exercise is our habit of
identifying ourselves as our thinking and that barrier takes time and
effort to surmount. So be patient. And just BE. :)