Re: Problems in Eom

Message 03757 of 3835

Dear Joel,

I was moved to reply to your message, because I can relate to how
you are feeling. It took me a long time to achieve EOM (and I still
have a long way to go with it) and I went through various stages
during that time.

Originally, I realized that I too had rushed through the previous
mental exercises and so started over and spent quite a long time
mastering those to the extent necessary. Then I returned to the EOM
exercise and felt that I had more solid foundations to work with.

It took me another fairly long stretch of time to then get to a
point where I could "tap into" that silence, or absence of thoughts
that Rawn mentioned more times than I couldn't. But before I arrived
at that point, I went through periods of being very frustrated,
angry, doubting myself, beating myself up about it, not caring,
feeling like giving up, not knowing what I felt... etc etc. With
hind sight that was great! I was dealing with emotional issues at
the same time as I was taking tiny steps forward with the EOM
exercise.

The Step One mental exercises taught me to be a little more patient,
a little more detached, a little more willful and a little more
positive. I stopped reaching out frantically towards some abstract,
emotionally-tinged future goal (to the point where I was getting
frustrated if I did not perceive some success every time I sat down
to meditate), and changed my mind set to one of "Oh well, I'm going
to practise this exercise twice a day when possible and enjoy what I
get out of it each time and know that I am moving forward even if it
does not seem like it and keep at it even if it means it takes me
years and years, because at the very least it allows me time each
day to relax and centre myself." (Not a very catchy affirmation, I
know!)

For me personally, achieving EOM feels like a balance between
intense focus and detachment. There is a sensation of tapping into
something greater than/outside of my own small mental processes.

The first times that I experienced it, my physical body would tense
and I would have to make a conscious effort to relax it, my heart
would beat faster, I would feel a strong surge of "energy"
throughout my body, then I would experience a very powerful and pure
sensation of Joy and Peacefulness and Oneness which was amazing, but
I had to let that go too and not cling on to it. Then at a certain
point it was as if something else took over and I no longer had to
fight to keep my mind clear.

The other piece of advice that I would like to offer from my own
experience is: don't over-analyse it! Just practise every day... and
you know you *can* find time every day, even just ten minutes in the
morning and ten at night... but do you really *want* to or are you
scared that if you do commit to that you will fail at it?? The only
way to fail is by not doing the exercises, not sticking with it.

Once you have the basics sorted out and a routine going, don't
assume that you are doing something wrong if you are not successful
as soon as you would like. I would sometimes hear a voice in my head
telling me how stupid I must be for not being able to sit and clear
my mind for 5 or 10 minutes; I just started to laugh when that
thought entered my head and stuck firmly to my belief that I had to
be persistent and detach myself from any negative thoughts or
feelings.

So, in conclusion (I'm a bullet point person):

*Establish a routine (morning and evening)
*Be persisent (but don't beat yourself up if you miss the odd
session here and there)
*Try to detach yourself from negative thoughts and feelings
concerning your practice
*Know that you are always moving forwards even when it doesn't seem
like it

I wish you all the best with it!

:-)
Martin