Re: Pattern in Mental exercises of step 1

Message 03770 of 3835

Dear Dustin,

>> Sometimes if my thought process is irratic it will take me 10 minutes
for my ego to get tired out and then I can concentrate for 10-15
minutes. Is this not the same as sitting down at any given moment and
doing 5 minutes from the start? <<

If I am understanding you correctly, I'd say that in terms of the IIH
standards of "mastery", what is important here is the amount of
uninterrupted concentration time (i.e., your 10-15 minutes). The time
it takes for you to settle your surface mind and get down to actual
concentration does, obviously, need some work in order to shorten it,
but so long as you spend those final 10-15 minutes successfully
performing the exercise then they count. :)

Ideally, over time, your mental discipline will strengthen and you will
be able to focus your mind at will *immediately*, without needing
several minutes to settle your surface mind.