A few last questions

Message 03808 of 3835

Rawn wrote:
> Focusing your attention on an external point, candle, etc., and
> focusing it upon your breathing only serve to distract and divert
> the surface mind. This does not lead to self-knowledge. It
> teaches you nothing about how your surface mind functions and it
> does nothing to increase your ability to directly discipline your
> surface mind. All it does is teach you how to distract your
> surface mind, thus leaving an untamed beast always lurking just
> out of your control.

Am I incorrect in assuming, however, that this sort of "distraction"
is not unlike the focus that's employed in the emptiness of mind
exercise wherein one focuses on perception of what is beyond the
mind chatter?

Also, is there a minimum "level" that is expected of the student for
the eucharistic magics for completion of Step One? Are these
exercises similar to the first thought discipline exercise in that
one should get "a certain skill" at this stage, and continue
developing it throughout the course of IIH?

Thanks,
David
-----
http://www.davidyeh.org