Re: A few last questions

Message 03809 of 3835

Dear David,

> Focusing your attention on an external point, candle, etc., and
> focusing it upon your breathing only serve to distract and divert
> the surface mind. This does not lead to self-knowledge. It
> teaches you nothing about how your surface mind functions and it
> does nothing to increase your ability to directly discipline your
> surface mind. All it does is teach you how to distract your
> surface mind, thus leaving an untamed beast always lurking just
> out of your control.
>> Am I incorrect in assuming, however, that this sort of "distraction"
is not unlike the focus that's employed in the emptiness of mind
exercise wherein one focuses on perception of what is beyond the mind
chatter? <<

No. EOM is not a matter of distracting the mind. It's a matter of
mental discipline which the practice of distracting the mind
disempowers.

>> Also, is there a minimum "level" that is expected of the student for
the eucharistic magics for completion of Step One? Are these exercises
similar to the first thought discipline exercise in that one should get
"a certain skill" at this stage, and continue developing it throughout
the course of IIH? <<

In essence, the Step One application of the eucharistic magics is aimed
at developing a "certain skill" since the basic technique is expanded
upon in future Steps. However, you must still attain the desired result
with your Step One practice. The key is to choose appropriate short
term goals, such as focusing the techniques upon the goal of mastering
the individual Step One exercises.