Re: A few last questions

Message 03813 of 3835

> No. EOM is not a matter of distracting the mind. It's a matter of
> mental discipline which the practice of distracting the mind
> disempowers.

I'm not clear on how focusing on emptiness and ignoring surface
thoughts is different in principle from focusing on an external
object and ignoring surface thoughts. Both seem to be a specific
tuning of consciousness ... The difference I see is that with the
procedure laid out in IIH, the surface mind is directly confronted
first, then directed, and then set aside, whereas perhaps in other
systems this grappling with the surface mind is not done. But the
actually setting-aside or ignoring seems similar in technique ... ?

> In essence, the Step One application of the eucharistic magics is
> aimed at developing a "certain skill" since the basic technique is
> expanded upon in future Steps. However, you must still attain the
> desired result with your Step One practice. The key is to choose
> appropriate short term goals, such as focusing the techniques upon
> the goal of mastering the individual Step One exercises.

If I achieve a desired goal, but in doing so have employed multiple
methods of which eucharistic magic is only one, how can I be sure
that I've achieved the basic level of competence? Is EM a
supplementary technique like autosuggestion?

Sorry for making your last month so busy, Rawn. :)

Thanks,
David
-----
http://www.davidyeh.org