Akasha Musings (longish)

Message 00017 of 3835

I hope the group will forgive the somewhat rambling style of this
posting. I have been working on Step 1 of IIH for about two months
now and I have been thinking about Mental Plane magick (conscious
intake of breath and Eucharist Magick).

As I understand it, Hermetics teaches that humans exist on a Mental
Plane, an Emotional Plane (the astral?) and of course, the good old
Physical Plane. As multi-level beings we can influence reality on
all three planes and the changes on one plane affect the other
planes (to varying degrees). Advanced Hermetic practitioners have
integrated the three levels within themselves and can affect the
three Planes all at once or individually. We beginners on the other
hand don't usually manage much inter-plane interaction either
internally or externally. I suspect that one of the reasons Franz
Bardon starts us off with Mental Plane magick so early in our
studies is to begin the process of opening the channels that link
the planes within ourselves.

When I read Step 1 I was struck by the fact that the four suggested
exercises in Mental Plane magick are all focused on making changes
within oneself (I think that's a kind of magick called "Theurgy").
The other flavor of magick (Thaumaturgy ? literally "wonder
working") concerns magickal influence of the external world.

I am guessing that Bardon starts us off with Theurgical exercises
because (a) it's more likely to work with the relatively weak
capabilities of most beginners, and (b) there are no ethical issues
concerning other people's free will and so on (I imagine this is
particularly important while we are still struggling to transform
our personal negative traits).

Nevertheless, I was wondering what Rawn (and others) thought of
beginners trying to use Step 1 magickal practices to make changes in
the external world. For example, I would currently like to expand my
social circle (I have quite a few friends already but I'm very
social and get particular pleasure when new people enter my life).
In addition to the usual mundane efforts in support of that goal I
was wondering if it would be advisable to "put out a mental call"
through the Akasha inviting (on the Mental Plane) others into my
life who have the potential to become new friends.

If this is an advisable use of Step 1 magick, how would I go about
doing it? Should I imprint the Akasha of the air around me with
the "call" or should I try to visualize the mental plane (perhaps as
some misty realm) and use my will to send out my call though that
level of reality? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best Regards /RM/

P.S. If any of my assumptions and conjectures are in error I would
be grateful for correction.

Main Index | Thread Index