Re: sense of smell

Message 00201 of 3835

Dear Vania,

>> I can separate a smell from the other sense and can hold on
to it for a few seconds. But even though when I start, the smell if
relatively strong, it quickly fades away and I eventually lose it. It's
like
in real life, when you've been in a room with a particular small, after
while you can't smell it anymore. So how do I keep on to the smell for
longer? <<

Persistence! ;-)

One thing that I found very helpful was to analyze what happens,
physically, to my body (especially the sinuses) when I smell any odor.
Something slightly different happens with each different odor and often,
similar things will happen with different odors. In this way, you can
then see the connections between different odors. This bit of knowledge
about my smelling apparatus helped me to re-create specific odors with
my imagination by replicating their effects upon my physical apparatus.

>> I'm also doing another mistake, where I try to smell with my nose,
which
brings the smell of my surroundings and makes me break concentration. I
need
to find my "mental nose", but I can't seem to and it's really
frustrating. I
think once I do that it will help retain the smell for longer too. So
any
suggestions or tips about that exercise are most welcome. <<

Try inhaling through an open mouth instead of through your nose when you
feel this urge to "sniff" the odor you're trying to imagine. This will
mildly stimulate the physical sinuses, without introducing a conflicting
smell.