Re: Breathing and its relation to EOM/VOM

Message 00623 of 3835

Dear RM,

>> As I have worked with the emptiness of mind exercise in Step 1, I
notice that it is much easier to silence my mind (and even my sensory
awareness) during an exhale. Almost all of my distractions occur during
the inhale. I was curious why that might be. Can anyone suggest an
answer or point me to an archive on this? <<

When you inhale a breath you are also, naturally, inhaling the Vital
Energy along with all the ingredients from the air that you need to
sustain life. In other words, inhalation is stimulating to the whole
body, including your brain. Hence, more thoughts and other distracting
things occur, quite naturally, with each inhalation.

But this is just how your *body* responds. The *mind* (i.e., the part
of your awareness that supercedes the brain-bound consciousness)
however, is capable of rising above these effects. It is the *mind*
that achieves VOM/EOM, not the brain-bound consciousness. With true
VOM/EOM, the brain-bound rhythm that accompanies the inhale/exhale is
relegated to the background. Which is to say that it never ceases, but
your *mind* pays it no attention.