Re: Re: VOM and Center of Stillness Meditation?

Message 00625 of 3835

Dear Martin,

>> The funniest thing happened when
I read your message. My first 'gut' instinct was to think 'well, of
course I've TRIED, that's the whole point, but it's not that easy'.
Then after a few seconds a voice in my head told me to stop being
critical; that the guy knows what he is talking about and wrote what
he wrote for a reason. Then (and this is the part I am still having
trouble believing), it was as if a switch was turned on (or off) in
my head and there and then, as I sat in front of the computer, I saw
beyond your words, the essential meaning I suppose, and I found
myself falling into a meditative state effortlessly and for 13
minutes I experienced a vacancy of mind; well actually, there were
several small stray thoughts, but it was a huge leap from my past
experiences which never lasted for more than a minute. <<

Excellent!!! :) :) :)

Often, success or failure with these exercises hinges entirely upon a
conceptual shift . . .

>> At one point I felt as if my awareness was expanding, quite
literally... that's one aspect of it that I don't think I would be able
to put into words.... <<

There's no need to put any more words than that to it. I know exactly
what you mean. That mental "sensation" of expansion is an indication of
success with the VOM. It's as if the core awareness has suddenly
relaxed and then sort of melts to "fill" a larger "space". This points
out how thoughts/thinking confine the mind.

>> That was yesterday. Today I listened to your CSM recording which I
downloaded yesterday (and thank you very much for your kind offer of
sending me the CD, but my dial up connection was having a good day
yesterday and it didn't take too long to download). The meditation is
great, it really helped me to relax in a way I hadn't before with other
forms of meditation, and I believe it helped to strengthen the vacancy
of mind. I still need to work with the VOM exercise more before I would
feel happy moving on to the next step, but at least now I feel I have
something I can work towards.
I would highly recommend the Center of Stillness Meditation to
anyone working on Step One (and probably the other steps, but I have
no experience of those yet!) - it's something I intend to continue
working with as a 'lead up' to my vacancy of mind meditation. <<

It's very gratifying to hear that the CSM has helped you in this way.
Thank you for your kind words. :)

>> (I can think of one or two people who may be fuming now, <<

;-) Well, that's *their* problem! Besides, they haven't joined this
list.