Re: a question of hygiene

Message 00861 of 3835

Dear Jen,

>> Over the past years I have been involved with people and still am
that use sage and I want to be able to use it, however, I have an
allergic asthma response ro any smoke. What I have done is hold my
breath. Being with others that use sage or sweetgrass is unavoidable
at times and I don't really want to exclude myself to the ceremonies. Do
you have any other suggestions? I would like to cure this reaction to
it. What I have been doing to cleanse an object or a room as an
adaptation is use essential oils in a atomizer and with intention and
visualization I spray the bottle in the air above and around in all of
the directions instead of using smoke. I am unsure if it is equally
effective because the smoke can physically saturate and Sage is such a
healing plant. Does this really matter or is my intention enough? I
would appreciate your thoughts on this. <<

Your atomizer idea is a good compromise, but as you say, this doesn't
create the degree of penetration that burning Sage does. Another way to
achieve pretty much the same degree of penetration but without smoke
would be to *heat* the essential oil. This will volatize the essential
oil quite effectively.

The simplest method is to suspend a small ceramic or metal dish over a
candle flame and pour some water into the dish. When the candle flame
has heated the water, place a few drops of Sage essential oil into the
hot water. This will volatize the Sage essential oil and create a
penetrating aroma.

The drawback of this method is that it's difficult to direct the aroma
toward the quarters or to specific objects in the same way as with smoke
or your atomizer. In other words, it's good for suffusing an entire
room but not so handy for targeted detail work.