Re: Re: Questions, questions, questions

Message 00998 of 3835

Dear Peter,

>> If the seven doubles can be associated with the seven planets, then I
take it that the twelve signs of the zodiac can be directly associated
with the twelve rinds? If so, then the twelve sections of the city of
gold that lead out from the Tiphereth temple naturally express the
nature of these twelve rinds? <<

Yes, on both counts. :)

>> Do the ten steps of IIH roughly relate to ten sepheroth? <<

Not directly. What they relate to more directly are the 10 stages, or
degrees, of initiation in the Western Hermetic system.

>> Having gone through the Netzach meditation within the Eight Temples
Meditaiton project, I have a number of questions, ands comments about
it.
My first comment would be as to how you seem to have placed the
imagry of three different tarot cards into the meditaiton. The path
of the Moon being the path to the wall, the Star being the aspect of
Raphael in the form of the naked woman and finially the aspect of
Raphael as complete as the image of Temperence. While the imagry of
the Star and Temperence are in their right place when looking at your
discussion upon the 32 paths of wisdom, you also state that the path
of the Moon connects Hod with Mulkuth in the Hebrew
tradition...whereas within the Western Hermetic tradition it connects
Netzach with Mulkuth. So...what gives? The use of the imagry seems
proper, but still. It's one of those odd mixings of Hebrew and
Hermetic traditions. <<

Yes, it is an odd mix, however, as I stated in the "Introduction:
Overview of Symbols" to the 8T:

"The variation employed for this series of eight meditations will be a
fairly simple Western Hermetic approach -- heavy on the Hebrew and
Pagan, and light on the Christian, as is my way."

When I created the 8T, I was well aware of how confusing it would be for
most folks if I were to use the Hebrew Kabbalah. So, in order to make
it more readily accessible, I used the Western Hermetic Tree and its
path assignments.

>> In step 6 of the Archeaous you introduce the formation of an
elemental harmony within the three bodies via the accumulation of the
four elements within their respective region. I take it that the same
sort of work can be done with regards to impreginating the three
bodies with the various forms of the tree of life that are related to
that body? <<

Yes.

>> Within your writings, you associate akasha with Atziluth; the mental
realm with Briah; the astral realm with Yetzirah; and the physical realm
with Assaih. Yet within your commentary upon KTQ you have the Gra tree
represent the world of Briah, when elsewhere you state that the Gra tree
is the best representation of the tree within the Sepher Yetzirah. So
how do you rectify this point of contradiction? <<

Okay, this bit gets complicated, so buckle your seatbelt. ;-)

The Sepher Yetzirah or "Book of Formation" describes the *creation* of
the realm of Yetzirah. The Creatrix is represented by the Gra Tree (the
Tree of perfect equilibrium), and the creation (Yetziratic Realm) is
represented by the Hebrew Tree. In other words, the S.Y. *results in*
the Hebrew Tree, but the tree it *describes* is the Briatic Tree or Gra
Tree.

The S.Y. tells the tale of the transition between the Briatic (mental)
and Yetziratic (astral) Realms or Worlds. It's the *creation* of
Yetzirah and the astral realm. This may be the reason why Aryeh Kaplan
chose to translate the title of his book into the English "Book of
Creation" instead of "Book of Formation".

The true "Sepher Briah", or "Book of Creation", is the first chapter of
Genesis which defines the 32 Paths of Wisdom. It tells the story of the
transition between Atziluth and Briah. This results in the mental realm
or Briatic World, represented by the Gra Tree.

The Sepher Yetzirah picks up from there and describes how the Briatic
Gra Tree, creates the astral realm of Formation, which results in the
Hebrew Tree.

As for a "Sepher Assiah", or "Book of Making", which describes the
transition from Yetzirah (astral) to Assiah (material), it's my opinion
that The Ari (R. Luria) found the equivalent within the "Sepher ha
Zohar" and from that divined his version of the Tree. To my mind, the
Ari Tree describes the Assiatic Realm.

Clear as mud? ;-)