Re: Hello from a newbie

Message 01006 of 3835

Hi Uthlagus,

I cannot really address much of your letter as I am new to IIH also.
But I wanted to comment on what the Buddhists told you about magick.
I also have always wondered why Buddhists don't talk more about the
mystical traditions in the religion.

The Dalai Lama comes from Tibetan Buddhism, which as you certainly
know, has an esoteric streak in it coming from its synthesis with
Bon I suppose. But the Dalai Lama does not reference much magick or
mysticism in his writings we get here in the West.

I think this is because, like Buddha, the Dalai Lama was very
concerned with getting a message to the common person. The common
person is not going to try to enter an initiation into any esoteric
tradition. Because of this I think that the main thrust of Buddhists
in the West is just to reach the common man with the core of the
dharma. The core of the dharma requires no twist of the Western
rational mind like magick does.

In the end, any special 'powers' you might develop will not
enlighten you by themselves (I suppose), but that is not to say that
they cannot be a sort of yoga, a method to experience being part of
the whole.

Main Index | Thread Index