Re: Help for a newbie, please

Message 01095 of 3835

Dear Uthlagus,

>> I've been on IIH for two weeks now, done quite a lot of meditation
before, but can't seem to still my thoughts so that I can keep just one
in my mind. Am I too impatient, or is there a method for quietening the
mind down? <<

Ideally, the first exercise of observation ("thought control") naturally
quiets the mind to the point where thoughts just trickle in. And it's
really in that exercise where you are to learn the ability to distance
yourself from the mind's busy-ness and how to *not* participate in the
thoughts that do arise. It's this lack of participation that slows the
busy mind.

The second exercise of one-pointedness ("thought discipline") is founded
upon this ability to distance yourself from the mind's busy-ness. With
this ability in hand, it's then a matter of willfully adhering your
attention upon a single thought to the exclusion of all others and
participating fully in that single thought.

I suggest that you begin by observing your mind and detaching from
participation in it's array of rising thoughts. Then shift your
attention to your breath. Focus your whole attention upon your
breathing. Of course, don't alter you natural breathing rhythm, just
use it's natural flow as an anchor for your focused attention. When
you've stilled and focused your mind upon this one thing, then introduce
a specific, pre-chosen thought and shift your attention completely away
from your breath and affix it wholly upon this thought.

>> I must say that everything else is great and I feel positive results
already. Wonderful! <<

Cool! :)