Re: A question!

Message 01183 of 3835

Dear Draco,

>> What types of faults did Bardon mean, when he said (paraphrase) "take
care of the faults that stop you from doing magic." I have been mulling
over this for a week now and cant see any fault that would hinder doing
magic. I know the whole thing on equipose (elemental) needs to be
established, as in major faults. What would be considered a fault that
hinders magic? (I use fault for simplicity sake only ). Im just looking
for a point in the right direction nnot a list :> <<

:) Well, let me point you away from your paraphrase and to the text
itself:

"By carefully examining the characteristics which he has recorded
in his magical diary, he should be able to ascertain the elementary
powers which are predominant in him, whether they be good or evil, and
he must establish, at whatever cost, an equilibrium in the effectiveness
of the elements. The elements in the astral body must be brought into
balance, otherwise magical ascent is not possible" [p.89, Merkur
edition]
"The purpose of this Step is to achieve an equilibrium of the
elements in the soul. The aspiring student should therefore endeavour
to quickly and confidently eliminate those passions that hinder him the
most if he wishes to be successful in the magic arts. <snip> You must
aspire through the entire course towards the ennoblement of your
character. At this Step you must already begin to eliminate all the
evil characteristics that prevail and which represent the greatest
impediment for further development." [p.90, Merkur edition]

In other words, the point is that there are not specific faults that
"stop you from doing magic"; rather, it's that a lack of Elemental
balance impedes your further development. This Elemental balance of the
astral body is achieved in Step Two through the transformation of the
"evil characteristics that prevail".