single-pointed awareness

Message 01187 of 3835

Hello!

I've read the kybalion and have some questions about the chapter on
Rhythm. What does it mean by "raising of the Ego above the
vibrations of the Unconscious Plane of mental activity, so that the
negative swing of the pendulum is not manifested in consciousness?"
Is it accomplished by having a one-pointed awareness of your physical
senses, emotions and thoughts every second, every moment so that you
remain detached from your personality whilst performing your daily
tasks?

For the past few days i've been practicing this constant-awareness of
my personality self, which is alike to the step 1 thought-observation
exercise, except that you extend this awareness of your thoughts to
your emotions and physical actions. It sure gives me greater
emotional stability, and a "nothing really matters that much" kind of
attitude, but i find it hard to perform the one-pointedness
meditation whilst remaining detached from my train of thought...or is
it simply that one cannot remain detached and contemplating upon a
thought at the same time? It is like watching a stranger performing
the one-pointedness exercise, and me observing his thoughts going on
in his mind, but its not easy.

Well, if detachment from your daily tasks comes only after your mind
is silent, and without any mental chatter at all, does it means that
no matter what i do everyday ( playing basketball...talking to
friends..) i should aim to have absoultely no mental chatter at all (
except during one-pointedness exercises)...with only a silent mind to
carry through all my daily tasks?

Main Index | Thread Index