Re: Re: Fasting (& Vegetarism)

Message 01383 of 3835

Hi Steve:

As I am a new member of the BardonPraxis Group, this is my first reply or
addition to the Posts and I hope that what I write will be helpful to the other
members.

My experience with fasting took place many moons ago. My first wife was
diagnosed with a fibroid tumor and was advised to have it removed surgically.
Without being quick to accept that I consulted with a friend of mine that I
thought would be knowledgable in respect to that and the subject of fasting
came up. It has been reported that in some cases tumors and growths of various
kinds have been dissolved through fasting. It seems that people that have been
on involuntary fasts due to a lack of food, after their bodies dissolved or
digested unnecessary fat tissue it went to work on the fat molecules in tumors.
Oddly enough, fat behind the eye balls were left intact. This was discovered
upon autopsy if the individual died.

Anyway, my friend suggested that I approach my wife with the alternative and I
replied that I would not have to tempt her with the smell of food because there
was a restaurant right across the street from where we lived where I could have
my meals. He immediately said that he thought I could give her better support
than that, meaning that I should go on the fast also. ha! ha! That kind of
shook me up a little.

My wife was anxious to try anything but an operation, which would be a
hysterectomy.

Our first fast lasted 15 days, which consisted of only water. I had read a few
books about fasting so I wasn't totally unfamiliar with it. The first three
days were tough. The stomach flapping around from being empty gives the
impression of hunger, but we were able to work through that. I doubt that
people in the North American continent have experienced real hunger.

There is a very important point to fasting and that is after 3 or 4 days the
feeling of hunger passes, however, a very important aspect of fasting is that
hunger will return and, that is the time when the fast should be broken. If the
fast is continued beyond that point, starvation will set in and cause harm to
the body.

Another thing, and perhaps more important than the fast itself , is the way the
fast is broken. I was so hungry after 15 days, that I went across the street to
the restaurant and gorged myself with chicken salad and white rolls.
Consequently upon having my first bowl movement I thought my guts would come
out. I had hemorrhoids the size of my knuckles and I could hardly walk or sit
down for 3 days. Sounds funny, but I didn't appreciate the experience. However,
I did learn something about fasting and consequently on my next 2 fasts, when
it came time to break it, I choose food like soft boiled eggs and pea soup
until I had my first bowl movement before eating more solid food.

My experience during the fast was one of physical comfort with more energy and
a mental clarity that I had never experienced before. I lost about 15 pounds
which I needed to do. My friends asked me if I was sick because I didn't look
well. I felt good. Some people have bowl movements during the fast, but I had
to resort to enemas.

Some time afterwards, I fasted for 9 days, then 5 days and then another time
for 3 days.

That was many moons ago as I mentioned. At the present, I have the aim to fast
one day a week. I see this as an opportunity to extend control to the physical
body and it's desires and passions, rather than it controling me. Just a
thought anyway.

I realize now that fasting is not just fasting from food, but should include
fasting from negative thinking and negative emotions. I had a lady friend of
mine that wanted to fast with me, feeling that the two of us would add to her
support. After the 2nd or 3rd day she became so emotional and distraught that I
suggested she break the fast, which she did.

I also had a lady friend of mine that died because of an extended fast. She
became jaundiced and died in hospital. She tried to fast for 40 days.

Fasting can be very beneficial, but should be under supervision, either by a
doctor or someone well experienced in fasting.

I have never heard of a fast where water was not included.

The word "fast" means to abstain from something. Sometimes people use that word
wrongly such as "juice fast". What the person means is that they are ingesting
just juice. What they are saying however, is that they are abstaining from
juices.

So much for now.

My best to all,

Robert

Steven Knudson <s.knudson@...> wrote:
I involuntarily fasted years ago, when travelling thru central Spain and had my
wallet lifted in Madrid! I heard voices, not
distinct but muttering. Any others experience this?

&*I learned that starving myself of food and drink opens me up to unbalanced
spiritual influences. But when I learned to listen to
my body to know how to fast (rather than just going without food and drink in
an orthodox fast,) I learned what is and what isn't
helpful by way of 'fasting' for me. There are lots of ways to fast. A person
can fast from using the computer. Or a person can fast
from thinking certain thoughts. Or a person can fast from anything else.
Wouldn't you agree that fasting is really a lot like ocean
ships coming into port to have the barnacles removed from their surfaces? Or
perhaps like turning out the grow lights on one's
indoor marijuana garden after the point-of-diminishing-returns so that the
plant can sleep without the intrusive light? Like
desisting from any compulsive/obsessive habit in order to regain balance and
orientation.
BTW Ron, I really enjoyed your vegetable/garden relationship account, too.

steve