Re: Re: A nice, sweet, mental sleep.

Message 01740 of 3835

Dear Robert,

>> Is it possible that one can experience freedom from a particular
circumstance without changing or leaving the circumstance? I would
think that merely coming away from one's circumstances or a physical
change would not necessarily solve the problem, if there is one. It
would be to the individual's advantage to experience "freedom in" before
"freedom from". Otherwise, we would be taking the same old self with
us, which inturn would produce similar or new circumstances. <<

True freedom is not situational. It's *internal*, not external. One
can be free within ANY circumstance. Our essential freedom is our
ability to think and feel any way *we* want. No external circumstance
can steal that away from us.

Of course, we always face limitations placed upon the externalization of
our internal freedom -- or rather, we face *consequences* that move us
to limit our own externalization. If you do not fear the consequences,
then no externally imposed limitation can prevent you from expressing
your inner freedom in whatever way you choose.

>> Some philosophers have said that "freedom" is an illusion. There
ain't no such animal. That's an interesting thought. <<

;-) Yeah, philosophers have said a lot of rather silly things over the
ages. Seriously though, freedom *seems like* an illusion only to those
who are not themselves free.