Re: an observation on the positive soul mirror - lying and lies

Message 01787 of 3835

Hi,

I agree with your statement that lying is often an attempt to avoid
responsibility or consequence.

It seems that we are talking about at least two different kinds of
lying: lying to oneself, and lying to other people. Or, more
clearly: having the intent to obscure one's own awareness, or having
the intent to misdirect the awareness of others.

I think we all agree that lying to oneself blocks energy flow and
hinders our growth. I think we would also all agree that lying to
other people in order to relieve ourselves of responsibility can
prevent us from the growth we need.

I would suggest, however, that not all lies have that intent or that
effect. Maybe it's in the way I define "lies." Consider, for
instance, going into another culture, one in which, if you are known
to be homosexual, you will be arrested and put to death. Let's say
you are homosexual, and someone asks you point-blank very loudly if
you are homosexual. What do you do?

Or even something much less dramatic than that. You enter a
different culture and everyone insists that you eat fruit before you
begin a meal, even though that's not your usual habit. So you do.
In my opinion, that can be interpreted as a false presentation of
yourself because it is not an expression of who you usually are. But
then again, what is REAL? If you tell the truth but leave out a part
that seems unimportant, is that lying? Well, it can be.

Certainly lying to other people is a way of protecting ourselves from
consequences. But you could also see it as a way to maneuver freely
in the world. Why fight battles that are unnecessary? Choose only
the ones that have the most opportunity for growth or insight.

Say you're really depressed but you don't feel like talking about
it. How do you respond to the question a passing acquaintance poses
you, "How's it going?"

It seems to me that lying is in the intent. Certainly it can hinder
your own growth. But things in this world are, in their own way,
camouflaged. I think our own growth certainly depends on seeing
through our own lies to the clarity and emptiness within ourselves.
I mean, ultimately, all of our thoughts about ourselves are lies, as
you alluded to. "I'm ugly. I'm fat. I'm great. I need to get a
haircut." They are judgments, not inherently true but true because
we believe in them; they could as easily be lies if we didn't believe
them.

In order to function normally in the mundane world, in which lies are
built in to the reality we occupy, we must lie. As long as we strive
to eliminate the lies in ourselves, we are on the right track.

And my original point was that for me, learning how to lie well to
certain people in certain situations is a very handy survival skill,
without which I would not have dealt with the situation as easily. I
feel that it has not cost me my growth, but it has cost me some
aspects of my relationships with those people. But I cannot control
other people's beliefs or reactions, and that is a battle I choose
not to fight at this point.

Thanks,
David

Main Index | Thread Index