Re: G-d, I don't understand

Message 01806 of 3835

Dear Mark

> I really do have to ask: What's the deal with the
> missing letters in G-d.

Under Jewish law the Name of G-d is sacred (and for
all practising occultists too!!). As such, once the
name of G-d is written down on a piece of paper, the
paper cannot be disposed of. Instead, it must be
buried (and an appropriate burial ceremony must be
given). In order to avoid this, Jews would typically
write an incompete word, so that the paper could be
"legally" disposed of, and avoid the onerous task of
burying it. If the full Name was written and then
disposed of (without burial), it would be considered
to be taking His Name is vain.

This principle then extends to the spoken word too,
which is why Jews will tend to use the word HaShem
("the Name") rather than use the word "G-d".

This is further extended to the Tetragrammation in
which the word "Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh", which, I guess is
considered to be the holiest of the commonly-known
names of G-d (Rawn - could you confirm on this one?)
would always be pronounced as "Adonai", which I guess,
although a holy Name of G-d, is seen as a lower
version of the Name.

Rawn - following from this discussion, I have a quick
question for you (or, indeed anyone who can help me
out). In Hebrew texts, I have seen pretty much all the
commonly-known names of G-d. However, there is one
Name, which is also pronounced "Adonai" but it is
written as Yod-Yod. I have not come across anything in
my reading that provides a correspondence for this
name and was wondering whether you could shed a little
light.

Kindest regards

Dan