Re: G-d, I don't understand

Message 01813 of 3835

Dear Mark & Dan,

>> I really do have to ask: What's the deal with the missing letters in
G-d. <<

I write it this way because I don't particularly like the word "God".
It's to inclusive, not specific enough and its usage carries with it all
sorts of dogmatic, religious overtones. So by writing "G-d", instead of
"God", the word is taken a bit out of its religious context. Sill, I
don't use the term "G-d" very often.

Dan wrote:
>> This principle then extends to the spoken word too,which is why Jews
will tend to use the word HaShem ("the Name") rather than use the word
"G-d".
This is further extended to the Tetragrammation in which the word
"Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh", which, I guess is considered to be the holiest of the
commonly-known names of G-d (Rawn - could you confirm on this one?)
would always be pronounced as "Adonai", which I guess, although a holy
Name of G-d, is seen as a lower version of the Name. <<

Ha Shem *is* the IHVH. It is a specific reference to the "Unspeakable
Name". One reason why IHVH cannot be spoken is because it carries no
vowel points which make the consonants utterable ("jehovah" and "yahweh"
being fanciful intellectual inventions of no intrinsic value). But
mainly, it's considered unspeakable because to do so would be to usurp
the power of IHVH. The mystical point being that one must *become* the
IHVH, not "speak" it in the mundane sense. So called "Masters of the
Name" are those who are able to utter The Name kabbalistically because
they are *at one with* IHVH -- they *become* The Name.

Adonai ("lord") is a *manifestation of* the IHVH and can be spoken
because to do so does not usurp power that doesn't belong in the hands
of the mundane person..

>> Rawn - following from this discussion, I have a quick question for
you (or, indeed anyone who can help me out). In Hebrew texts, I have
seen pretty much all the commonly-known names of G-d. However, there is
one Name, which is also pronounced "Adonai" but it is written as
Yod-Yod. I have not come across anything in my reading that provides a
correspondence for this name and was wondering whether you could shed a
little light. <<

My understanding is that this is a reference to the combination of IHVH
and ADNI (Adonai). This results in IAHDVNHI which is contracted to the
first and last Yods. Since it is an expansion of the IHVH, representing
the IHVH *and* its manifestation ADNI, it would be said as "Adonai" out
of deep respect. This refers to a specific state of consciousness in
which the all the stations of the IHVH are simultaneously present within
the Heh-final and made manifest through an individual consciousness
within a single temporal present moment. Which, by the way, is the
intention of The Magic of IHVH-ADNI. :)