Re: transition to step two?

Message 01842 of 3835

Hi Stephen,

Yeah, I'm just becoming aware of how elusive the emptiness of mind
practice is for me because I bring an agenda to my practice --
I "chase" emptiness. When I achieve small moments of it I crow my
triumph to myself and of course I lose it then. So I get frustrated
which starts the whole cycle over again.

I definitely do not "want" to be mindful. I mean sometimes I really
struggle against it. When I eat I would rather read or talk than
focus on my food, much less imagine myself taking in a wish. I
speculate that this has something to do with feeling uncomfortable at
meals with my family when I was younger. I think when I tell
myself, "Okay, David, you can't do these other fun things like read
or talk, you have to not think of anything but this wish," I react as
if I were being coerced. And who would want to let himself be
coerced.

It seems that I need to tackle these feelings, otherwise I won't be
able to progress.

David

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Miller"
<qwertyguy3@h...> wrote:
> For me Step One and Step Two have been a continuous, very
frustrating, but
> always interesting cycle. The visualization exercises have become
a sort of
> exam to see how I'm doing on character transformation. I had very
little
> trouble with the Step One mental exercises, but when it came to the
Step Two
> exercises, I had no luck at all when what seemed to be mental
control turned
> out to be in part due to repressed emotions. The most important
thing is to
> stay introspective. Remember that the mental chatter depends on
emotions to
> sustain itself. For some reason, some part of yourself does not
want to be
> mindful at the moment. I can possibly give some tips of you want
> describe your problem more.
>
> Stephen M.

Main Index | Thread Index