Re: Re: Essential Meaning objectivity

Message 01928 of 3835

Dear M,

>> You commented in your post that:
Quote: "Every change in form represents a shift in essential meaning."
However, in your article that I referenced to, you stated that:
Quote: "if you alter the physical form alone, you do not thereby change
the essential meaning -- all you do then is express it less clearly."
Surely these are contradictory statements? I'm not trying to play the
angry skeptic :) I would just like to understand. <<

It sure looks contradictory, doesn't it! :) However, the /DP3.html
quote was in reference to a *natural* form and my recent remark was in
reference to a painter's creation (i.e., a human created form).

If, for example, we pluck one petal from the rose (nature's creation),
we do not change the rose's essential meaning -- all we have done is mar
its clarity of expression. However, if the painter decided to repaint
his red rose, blue, then the essential meaning would be radically
changed.

Another way of stating it is that only the creator of a thing can alter
its essential meaning through an alteration of the physical form.

>> I have come to the (new) conclusion that the various parts of an
object express a different essential meaning than the object as a whole.
<<

That's not quite it. Each part expresses an *aspect of* the essential
meaning of the sum of those parts.

>> So the cultural history of the image, and the (intention, accuracy?)
of the workers who made it can be expressed to me through essential
meaning irrespective of me having no prior knowledge of them? Sort of
like a 'psychic perception', i.e. I could sense the cultural
significance of an African fertility doll despite me initially thinking
it was some sort of shrunken head used to ward off evil spirits? <<

Essentially, yes. Psychometry is rooted in the perception of an
object's essential meaning, mostly at the astral level which is readily
influenced by the object's environment. Essential meaning in a physical
object also manifests astrally and mentally; therefore, the perception
of a physical object's essential meaning will have those components to
it as part of the perceptual gestalt. With practice, one can learn to
focus in on one particular layer of the essential meaning's
multi-layered expression.