Re: Re: Lost the way?

Message 02011 of 3835

Dear Martin,

> Number two is that I suggest you don't think of your "spiritual
> work" as a "major thing". If you put it in that category then
> you've immediately set yourself up for problems. Instead, I
> suggest you think of it as a necessity like feeding yourself
> or sleeping.
>> Hmmm, that's a new perspective for me. I really hope that I will be
able to see it as a necessity, but to start with I believe that will be
difficult, as all the things I recognize as true necessities at the
moment relate to the physical world and the physical body. Being able to
make that switch to perceive 'mental' things as a necessity will be a
big achievement in itself. <<

Actually, it's not a big a leap as you think. :) Consider this: every
physical necessity has an underlying mental necessity. So it's just a
matter of broadening the mental necessities that underlie your life. Or
rather, it's a matter of recognizing the spiritual origin of many of the
mental necessities that already underlie your life. It's then a small
leap from focusing upon just the physical things that give you a sense
of well being, to broadening your focus to include the real foundation
(i.e., non-physical aspects) of what inspires your sense of well being.
The largest portion of well being comes from how satisfied you are with
yourself . . .

>> I've been thinking about this question since you posted your message,
Rawn and I honestly cannot answer it fully! Have I tried changing it?
Perhaps half-heartedly. Have I tried accepting it? I don't want to
accept it, it would feel wrong I suppose. <<

:) Well then, clearly, it is something worth changing instead of
accepting. It takes less energy to change a habit than it does to feel
bad and continuously beat yourself up over not having changed the habit.

>> Does it not frustrate you to see people beginning with IIH,
progressing a little, then letting it slide and having to start again?
<<

No, not at all. Instead, it reminds me of myself and of my own
struggles starting out on this path. :) I put the work down twice
before my third start-up took hold. I see the important thing as being
that one takes it up again after having put it down! :)