Soul mirrors/desires

Message 02044 of 3835

Dear all,

I have (very) recently been working on my negative soul mirror which
(combined with a reply from Rawn) got me thinking that I really need
to try to change some of my more influential negative traits in
order to even be able to commit to my IIH studies at all.

I have basically taken a two-pronged approach to this.

Firstly, I came across a book by a well-known British hypnotherapist
called Paul McKenna. The book in (typical) pop therapy fashion is
called 'How to change your life in 7 days'. Now I am always
skeptical of claims such as those made by that title, but as I
flicked through the book I saw more than one exercise and technique
which I thought would be useful to me. The book also comes with a CD
which contains a 'mind programming session'. I am only halfway
through the book, but I have found many of the exercises relating to
perspective and being in control of one's emotions, as well as how
to 'frame' things in our minds positively and how to associate and
disassociate from memories, very useful. He also introduces a finger
posturing technique which helps to link positive feeling to a
specific finger movement, which sounds to me a little like what
Bardon introduces in 'Key to the True Kabbalah' (I am only basing
this on posts by other people as I haven't yet read that book, so
anything others would like to contribute to that point would be
appreciated).

The other approach I have been taking is that of simply meditating
on negative traits and trying to ask my subconscious mind in a
*positive* way how I can overcome these problems (I also have come
to realize that we often 'speak' to ourselves in a negative way
e.g. 'why can't I do this?', 'why do I always mess up?', instead of
framing the question positively - 'how can I most easily overcome
this?' etc.)

One of the things I have been thinking about over the last couple of
days is that we humans seem to be programmed with many many desires
(some more positive than others, but all desires none-the-less). We
seem to be by nature inherently selfish. Could it be this
selfishness which helps to keep us locked into the physical senses
and the material world? Now, if our desires are all selfish, that
made me wonder whether the goal should be to eliminate these desires
or to transmute them instead. Should we not attempt to eradicate
what is a natural part of us (which could lead to an internal
battle), and instead turn these desires upwards, towards God, The
One, The Creator, (or whichever term you prefer)? Then we can offer
to use our desires (which do contain a lot of power) in a positive
way to serve Divine Providence, the Universe and Humankind.

Is this the right line of thinking, or should I be looking more at
trying to just stamp out negative desires altogether?

Thank you,

Martin

Main Index | Thread Index