Re: Soul mirrors/desires

Message 02051 of 3835

Dear Martin,

>> One of the things I have been thinking about over the last couple of
days is that we humans seem to be programmed with many many desires
(some more positive than others, but all desires none-the-less). We seem
to be by nature inherently selfish. Could it be this selfishness which
helps to keep us locked into the physical senses and the material world?
<<

I would have to disagree with your assessment that humans are
*inherently* selfish, especially if you discount the drive of
self-preservation which can't really be classified as "selfish", at
least not in the negative sense that you've implied. Nonetheless, our
cultures have definitely bred a very high degree of selfishness into us
as individuals, but this is not an inherent thing -- it is a learned
thing.

And yes, selfishness is one of many factors which keep our awareness at
the surface of existence and thereby blind us to the deeper reality.

>> Now, if our desires are all selfish, that made me wonder whether the
goal should be to eliminate these desires or to transmute them instead.
Should we not attempt to eradicate what is a natural part of us (which
could lead to an internal battle), and instead turn these desires
upwards, towards God, The One, The Creator, (or whichever term you
prefer)? Then we can offer to use our desires (which do contain a lot of
power) in a positive way to serve Divine Providence, the Universe and
Humankind. Is this the right line of thinking, or should I be looking
more at trying to just stamp out negative desires altogether? <<

Not all desires are negative, but those that are should be *transformed*
into a positive manifestation. That is the whole point of Bardon's
character *transformation*. As the character (which is more than just
one's desires) is transformed, so too do the number of desires diminish
and those that remain are turned toward positive ends.