Re: Socialization

Message 02457 of 3835

Hi Daniel,

> Recently, there appeared a problem which I keep repeatedly
> encountering. Whenever I am with a person who gets (for example)
> angry at something, for whatever reason, I help them calm down and
> relax. After that, they usually ask me if I think they did okay by
> getting angry. I tell them that I see anger as a perfectly natural
> reaction, especially in the situation they were in.

I would argue that being angry is an *instinctual* reaction and so in
that sense would be considered "natural", but not necessarily right,
and certainly not the best reaction.

Anger denotes a lack of wisdom. Wisdom is rooted in understanding.
Therefore to be angry is to not possess right-understanding. There is
a saying that goes: "The wiseman understands, and understanding he
ceases from all bitterness and accusation".

To express anger is to also externalize accusation and blame. So long
as blame is exteriorized, opportunity for inner growth is missed. In
any given situation that did not go well, all present share some
blame, because all had a chance to improve the situation yet it did
not. Lack of action or interaction is also not an excuse and does not
remove one from blame.

The next time your friend gets angry and externalizes blame, get them
to try the following exercise: "Point out your index finger as if you
were identifying the accused". Then ask your friend, "How many
fingers are you pointing toward the accused?", and they will
answer "1". Then suggest to them that chances are they haven't
thought about the situation deeply enough and so have neglected to
see their part of the blame. Next, get them to rotate their hand 180
degrees clockwise (while still pointing out with the index finger),
and then ask the question with a smile, "So how many fingers are
pointing back at you?" ;-) (answer is 3).

Anger also denotes a lack of self-control. Anger like compassion, and
kindness is a human action. Humans always have a choice about the
actions they perform. The problem is that acting instinctually
bypasses that opportunity. To be fair, in an argument situation,
there is often little time to contemplate things deeply, but surely
it can be done after the fact and next time, you will have the right
method of behaviour at your disposal when anger is about to over take
you. At this time, you will also have run out of excuses to react in
anger again.

FYI, the initiate always seeks to become more human and less
animalistic, so he finds himself becoming less instinctual and more
in control of himself, his words and his actions.

> Then, follows the problematic question: "do you think it would have
> been better not to get angry?"

I should also speak here about *perspective*. Often people get angry
because someone approached them in an angry fashion, and their
immediate reaction was to snap back in anger. The person (let's call
him John) that snapped back in anger failed to see why they should
actually be thankful to the other (Maria) and react with a smile
instead of with anger. You see, Maria was really giving John an
opportunity for John to work on his anger problem. Every human
interaction is an opportunity for growth and change.

One day I was watching an interview of the Dai Lai Lamma on TV by
some North American news show. One of the questions that was asked
was "Who's your greatest spiritual teacher?", to which the Dai Lai
Lamma answered "Mau" (The 'bad' Chinese leader who ousted him and his
people out of Tibet). I was shocked at the answer and so was the
interviewer. "What?! How can he possibly be your greatest spiritual
teacher after all the negative things he has done to you??". To which
he began a long answer... "Without Mau, I would not have recognized
that spirituality does not need a church or monastery or country to
be practiced in, without Mau, Buddhism would not have spread to the
Western world as quickly as it has because I would have still been
quietly in Tibet going about my business, without Mau... etc".

This is for me one of the keys as to Christ's reason for
saying, "Love thy enemy"... because they will help you grow the most,
and so how can you not be thankful and grateful for them? If you
understand this, how can you act in anger again the next time you are
confronted with it?!

The reality is that very few of us are immune to acting in anger at
one time or another to one degree or another. What needs to be
focused on however, is how we can diminish and transform that anger.
Ghandi said "An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind". The
same applies to anger and if humans are not careful it can spread
like wildfire. The only reason the whole world is not angry at each
other right now is because people like you CHOOSE to not act in anger
when confronted with it, and so the anger stops spreading.

John (your friend), already recognizes that anger is not right, which
is why he questioned himself and asked for your opinion as a friend.
Subconsciously, I'd say he actually values your demeanour. The
problem is he is unable to understand why anger is not the right type
of action, and until he understands this, his behaviour will not
change. Again, without right-understanding anger can not be easily
dealt with and transformed.

> The same thing usually follows an event when I "should have" gotten
> angry, but reacted in a completely different way.

In my opinion anger is not something we should ever choose to do. It
solves nothing, it gets us stressed out and everyone else around us.

Being angry and expressing it towards other human beings is kind of
like a psychically dumping your garbage on them. This behaviour is
not acceptable in the physical sense, and neither should it be
acceptable in the esoteric sense! Choa Kok Sui (a healing teacher)
says in one of his books (paraphrase) "It would be nice if humanity
were to recognize the human right of living in a psychologically
hygienic society. If this were to happen, being angry would be
considered rude and unhealthy and no longer acceptable human
behaviour".

>People find that the standards I've set for myself are unnaturally
>high, and for some reason, they distance themselves from me because
>of that.

Their distancing themselves from you has likely more to do with their
inability to understand your motives and perhaps even a slight
jealousy (for you being more in control) than your standards being
too high. Perhaps they aim high in their careers or in sports or
elsewhere. Should you spite them because of that? Of course not, and
as a friend you should encourage your friends to be the best they can
be at whatever it is they choose, and you should be happy for them.

If they choose to distance themselves from you when you are heading
in a positive direction, then I would question what parts of them do
you need in order to keep them as friends? Do not confuse the
priority of your compassion for them, with your need continue
growing. You always come first. By choosing to stay at their level of
understanding, you are doing neither yourself a favour (because you
are inhibiting your growth) nor them. Because you would be unable to
help your friends and show them compassion and understanding to the
same extent. People change, if your friends are unable to keep up, do
not dismiss them completely, show understanding and compassion, but
also look out for your emotional and psychological well being and
make an effort to meet newer and more compatible friends with whom
you can once more share your life experience without being looked
down upon.

> As much as social alienation is a price I am willing to pay for
> Initiation, it's a price I firmly believe should not be on the
> pricetag!

Nobody said initiation was going to be easy. To me initiation is kind
of like the Matrix movie. You get to choose between the blue pill
(ignorance and suffering) and the red pill (given the opportunity to
learn about truth and the greater reality). Once you've chosen the
red pill, once you've gained certain amounts of understanding and
realizations of truth (even if small ones at the beginning), it is
very hard if not impossible to go back, because to do so is to choose
to be ignorant, to continue to suffer and to not be honest with
yourself...and that never feels good.

Now I ask you, which is the bigger price to pay? Infinite cycles of
reincarnation and suffering, or being less liked by some 'temporary'
friends but making strides toward enlightenment and freedom?

I will refer to my previous statement about making an effort to meet
new people more in line with your spiritual endevours. They don't
even have to be more spiritual, simply, less judgemental and more
open-minded. But again, there is no need for extremes, you do not
need to disconnect from these friends...in fact, they may help speed
up your growth the fastest. Without hurdles, success just doesn't
taste the same.

> These people are my friends, and are close and dear to me. I can't
> deceive them by acting out my old negative features, but as I
> don't, they find it disturbing.. Is there anything I should change
>in myself, that I oversighted in this whole thing?

Yes, contemplate the situation a lot more, then change/transform
yourself some more. The beauty of being compassionate is that like
anger, it spreads like wildfire. It is hard to be angry at a person
who is smiling with loving kindness. Darkness can not prevail in the
presence of even the smallest light. Light a single match in the
darkest of rooms and you will realize this truth.

Take good care Daniel,
antiloop1111

Main Index | Thread Index