Re: Socialization

Message 02459 of 3835

Dear Lidia and Antiloop,

First of all, thank you for your replies :) I have to agree with
nearly everything you wrote.
I'm not sure how did it sound in my previous post, but I have no
doubts regarding my choice to change my character and strive towards
my own standards. But, I also have no interest in actively trying to
change my frinds' characters - whenever the time is right for them,
they will decide to do it - all I wish to be is just a positive
influence :)
After a few conversations and thoughts today, I believe that I
reached the gist of the problem: regardless of all of my efforts to
convince them otherwise, my friends and the people around me
automatically feel that the standards I aim for, are the bar by
which I judge everyone, instead of myself alone.
Just oh-so-recently, I would have reacted in the same way as they do
in such situations. The memories are very vivid and fresh (and I
intend to keep them this way :), and I cannot feel naught but
empathy and the deepest sympathy towards my friends.
I have tried everything I could think of to show them that I have no
judgement of their actions whatsoever, and that my goals are mine
alone, but it doesn't seem to work.
The problem is most noticable with my significant other. Whenever
she feels bad about a situation, the first thing I do is comfort
her. Regardless of the event, I tell her that I fully understand and
sympathize with her actions (only when she asks for my opinion, of
course). It is only when that dreaded question regarding my own
hypothetical actions in such a situation arises, that the problems I
described begin.
I find it very difficult to accept that the problem is in my
surroundings and not in some facet of my own actions, but I just
don't know what is it, or what can I do...?

Sincerely,
Daniel Gutmanas

Main Index | Thread Index