Re: Feminine / Masculine Balance

Message 02632 of 3835

Dear RM,

>> Certainly on this list I don't read much about summoning power,
casting spells, and making things happen out in the world - in other
words, I don't hear much about the Masculine aspects of Hermetics. <<

Most of the active participants who ask questions on this list are still
working on Steps One and Two which contain work that is indeed focused
upon setting one's own house in order. It's not till Step Three that
the student begins the work of directly manipulating energy (i.e., the
parts you describe as masculine).

>> Is the focus of our discussions out of balance or (perhaps) is the
focus deliberately skewed towards the Feminine to compensate for a
culture that favors the Masculine? <<

No, I don't think there's anything deliberate about it but it is
interesting and somewhat sad to note that things like meditation,
introspection and navigating the levels of self-awareness confuse folks
much more often than does power mongering.

>> Although Bardon describes the actual doing of magick it doesn't seem
to get as much emphasis as the more receptive exercises. <<

;-) One thing that differentiates IIH from most of systems of "magick"
is the recognition that "the actual doing" of magic involves meditation,
introspection and the navigation of the levels of self-awareness. It is
what makes "summoning power, casting spells, and making things happen
out in the world" *magic* instead of just another ego trip.