Re: RE: Step V - a few questions (cont)

Message 02979 of 3835

Hi Rawn -

I understand your answer here but there is one thing that is still slightly
ambiguous. On the one hand it is being said that pursuing certain abilities at
Step V is a waste of time, since in later steps one will be able to do
everything without having had to pursue it earlier, and one will attain it
quicker. Well and good! On the other hand, it's being said that one's character
is
being tested, and this is where I need a small clarification. It seems one's
character is tested a) because the very *desire* to do the 'miracle' indicates
a problem - perhaps impatience, and at the same time b) because working on
being *able* to do the 'miracle' will in itself create an elemental imbalance.

If this is right, the problem is not desiring to do the actual lighting
candles (or whatever) but simply desiring to do it too soon. Is this correct?

The reason I lay such stress on this is that it seems to me there is such an
issue at *every* step of the training! For example, the making of
elementaries. By the time one has mastered evocation, is the ability to make an
elementary laboriously and slowly really so valuable? Doesn't one continously
outstrip one's previous abilities and thus render what was very difficult
previously extremely easy?

If this is so it might at 1st appear better *never* to test abilities at
all, because one will always outstrip them later! I must admit that I mistook
the minor deeds we are talking about in Step V for tests that one must pass,
just like some others did (on a casual reading). What I think now is that when
*detailed instructions* are given, it is a sign that one must certainly do
the work - even though later it might seem insignificant. But when Bardon
mentions little effects such as these as an aside, and gives no specific
further
instructions, it is better to ignore the aside except as a curiosity, not to
be pursued. Is this right?

There is an element of temptation, it seems, to some of this. So one has to
tread carefully... Jason