Re: RE: Step V - a few questions (cont)

Message 02982 of 3835

Dear Jason,

>> It seems one's character is tested a) because the very *desire* to do
the 'miracle' indicates a problem - perhaps impatience, <<

No, it's not a matter of impatience in such as case. Rather, it has to
do with an egotistical need to show off and impress others which, of
course, speaks of a deeper lack of self-worth. This need is one of the
most detrimental to magical advancement. Remember the "Pillar of
Silence" . . .

>> The reason I lay such stress on this is that it seems to me there is
such an
issue at *every* step of the training! For example, the making of
elementaries. By the time one has mastered evocation, is the ability to
make an elementary laboriously and slowly really so valuable? <<

Ah, but here you must learn how to make your own Elementaries and
Elementals *before* you can learn the more advanced techniques of
evocation.

>> Doesn't one continously outstrip one's previous abilities and thus
render what was very difficult previously extremely easy? <<

Yes, but some things *must* be mastered *first* in order to be *able* to
master the next "higher" technique. For example, one *must* master the
Elements before the Akasha and Fluids; otherwise, working with the
Akasha and Fluids would be fruitless.

>> What I think now is that when *detailed instructions* are given, it
is a sign that one must certainly do the work - even though later it
might seem insignificant. But when Bardon mentions little effects such
as these as an aside, and gives no specific further instructions, it is
better to ignore the aside except as a curiosity, not to be pursued. Is
this right? <<

Not exactly. For example, he gave very clear instructions concerning
the lighting of the cotton swab. However, it was not presented in the
form of an exercise and this can often serve as a clue. In most every
case, he does say something like "but the true magician will not waste
their time". Aside from considering these "clues", what I recommend
above all else is that you meditate, very deeply about these issues when
they arise. From almost the first page, Bardon repeatedly advises the
student to meditate, meditate, meditate, and much of the book was
written assuming that the student will actually meditate about every
question that arises for them.

>> There is an element of temptation, it seems, to some of this. <<

Exactly, and that is the nature of most of the "tests". Bardon demands
that you ask yourself "why am I doing this?", over and over again.