Re: Re: What Is a Thought?

Message 03175 of 3835

>> I have a doubt about the second and the third exercise: Is not the
same to have your mind focus upon a single thouhgt that focus upon
quietness of mind? What do you think? <<

As Aton said, they are quite different in experience and in result.
However, one uses the same "mental muscle", so to speak, which is the
ability to determine what your conscious awareness is doing, or not
doing.

The main difference in experience is that with Vacancy of Mind, one is
not focused upon, nor in *any* way involved with, thoughts and thinking.

In terms of the difference in result, the first and second mental
exercises both concern the *brain bound* aspect of mind; whereas the
third exercise, concerns the larger Mind that is not bound by the
limitations of our physical brains. By focusing attention willfully
*away* from the brain's *thinking* and affixing attention *upon
perception and BEing*, our conscious awareness begins to perceive Mind.

Vacancy of Mind is built upon the mental discipline developed through
mastery of the first two exercises, but is itself more about exploration
of Mind than mental discipline. In other words, it requires a firm
foundation of mental discipline to *achieve* Vacancy of Mind.