Re: Buddhist / Bardon

Message 03189 of 3835

Wow!
I'm really stunned at the response to this question. All of
the insight is really appreciated, thank you all so very very
much!!! Though, I guess I could have described a few things a bit
better... Zazen is simply a daily meditation, which mine is simply
that of one-pointedness; I got the word from a book by Shunryu
Suzuki. I have not yet learned Vipassana, but in late December I
will be going on a 10-day retreat to learn it :o) About what I said
about Bardon's steps sounding like stages of meditation: First
lesson (of Step One) is like when you first practice meditation and
think, "Wow, look at all the thoughts!!!". The Second lesson (of
Step One) comes quite naturally when everyday thoughts are more
sequential in the fact that they don't seem to switch subjects of
their own accord. Also, mindfullness also comes semi-naturally, but
it is truly is a 24 hour a day meditation which at times can be very
difficult. Then, Lesson Three (of Step One) is the point that the
author Ken McCleod describes the mind as an "ocean without waves";
the attention has been cultivated to the point where one can blank
the mind at will. I must say, though, I completely agree with the
post (forgive my bad memory, I can't remember the author) that said
the practices are, in a way, contradictory. The mind in Buddhism is
stilled by relaxed attention and in Hermetics the mind is forced
into a blank state by the will.
Once again, I just want to thank everyone who has posted and
those who will post in the future; it is really amazing when people
are willing to help others with no thought of reward.

Namaste,

Derrick

Main Index | Thread Index