Re: Re: Buddhist / Bardon

Message 03193 of 3835

Dear Derrick,

>> I must say, though, I completely agree with the post (forgive my bad
memory, I can't remember the author) that said the practices are, in a
way, contradictory. The mind in Buddhism is stilled by relaxed
attention and in Hermetics the mind is forced into a blank state by the
will. <<

:) And I must disagree with it, having practiced both Vipassana and Step
One. Success with the Step One mental exercises is really about finally
relaxing into each exercise.

The first one is about detached, attentive observation which is best
achieved if one is relaxed instead of fighting or forcing the mind. The
second part of the second exercise (one-pointed meditation upon a single
thought or train of thoughts) *occurs within the setting of relaxation
created through success with the first exercise* and is best achieved
through a patient vigilance that is really very Vipassana-like.

The first part of the second exercise is also a form of "mindfulness" /
Vipassana carried on outside of the meditation room and applied to
everyday circumstances. This is a western version of a formal
Buddhistic practice. :) Not to mention, a critical faculty for the
Step Two and Three work of character transformation.

The third exercise *requires* relaxation -- a complete letting go of all
thoughts. This cannot be "forced", but it *can* be willed. This third
exercise represents where Vipassana meditation is intended to *lead* the
meditator.

I think the main thing that distinguishes the Step One exercises is that
they are in each case focused exclusively upon the *mind*, instead of
the breath. Bardon's exercises address the surface mind directly
whereas exercises which focus upon the breath, distract the surface
mind. Both approaches will free the deeper mind, they just do so from
different directions, so to speak, and are rooted in different
philosophies.