mind frenzy

Message 03358 of 3835

Hi, what is the preffered method to deal with
addictions? I have become addicted to food, and use
it for emotional support when challenges arise. This
has become a big problem, but it's going to help a lot
if folks start laughing at how ridiculous it is. My
main question: Does it help not to think about the
problem at all, or to make plans to derail it? Now
the thoughtform is big and omnious. I will use food
to avoid emotional confrontation, so any thought about
being afraid of a certain situation is a link to the
fear of food. See, Many things in my personal
inventory have gotten linked up like this, that is why
I feel trapped in a web. If anyone has experience
here is the best approach to
1. deal with one element at a time?
2. use auto suggestion to come to terms with the root
cause of the guilt. i.e. trouble homelife, or fear of
becoming a productive member of society, etc.?
3. emotionally finding a nurturing source to replace
the food comfort?
4. join a support group, or seek professional help ;-)
?
5. face it head on by using meal planning etc.
6. fasting periodically

So far, numbers 5. and 6. seem to work, but when I'm
under pressure a slight distraction can cause an
explosion which leads to a long period of indulgence.
And it seems as though controlling or repressing it
actually makes it stronger (even if I don't happen to
be eating at the time) For example: before this was an
issue I decided to fast for a weak for the purpose of
beginning IIH. As I went with less food, and
experience spiritual food, I felt a guilty attraction
to going back to the old way. It always started out
as a sort of morbidness. For example, a few years ago
I read something that some frater wrote about how his
biggest challenge was overcoming simple sugur. I
thought "gee that could very well be me." Then after
I ate alot of food once, I can't remember why, I
thought to myself, "This could become an addiction."
The thought was very quiet and subtle, and I didn't
really take it seriously. Next, after the problem
was afoot, I thought , "wow, if this continues it
could really jeopordize my education" I knew the
thought was crazy at the time, and I negated it, but
there was a subconscious alliance, and my thoughts
became polarized to manifest this tunnel reality. Is
there a rational reason (for example, learning how to
be compassionate towards people with challenges) why I
would do this, or should it be considered a stupid
irrationality and not given any more importance? The
more I think about the problem, the stronger it
becomes, but I am not sure if there is some sort of
hidden lesson or karma in my past that I can profit
from now that I am motivated to resolve this. I
almost considered deleting this, but is has gone on so
long, I at least need someone to tell me I'm stupid.
(in a good-natured way )

Cheers,
Dustin