RE: mind frenzy

Message 03363 of 3835

I hate to disappoint, but I can't say you're stupid :-) Everything you said sounds fairly normal to me, having worked with many people who have addiction problems and having had my own struggles with addiction.

You are going to hear thousands of ways to deal with addiction. All of the differing schools will tell you why theirs is the only way and they are all wrong, but only because everyone needs slightly different cues to overcome addiction. I'll give you some of the ideas I've heard from others with food addictions and that I've used as a personal trainer to help clients overcomes food urges.

1. Once a week, for one part of the day (beginning, middle, end... I find that the end works best), plan on overindulging and really enjoy it. Savor the food. Have fun. Food isn't evil, just our attitudes toward it and our habits involving it.

2. Except for that one day per week eat very well. Tolerate absolutely no food in your house that does not help you to achieve your goals whether the goals are about discipline, body weight, muscle gain, cosmetics, or life-style.

3. Stay on top of your thinking. Stop thoughts like "I will not eat that" or "I shouldn't", instead concentrate on what you SHOULD do, even better what you WILL do, NOW. So, instead of "I shouldn't eat that deep-fried lard with tartar sauce and gravy" you might think "I'm eating this chicken with maranara sauce and steamed veggies". Keep it positive.

4. Exercise. Regular cardiovascular exercise reduces overall levels of hunger. If you increase your muscle mass you increase your metabolism. Find exercise that you enjoy: martial arts, hiking, walking, swimming, weight lifting, cardio classes, yoga, pilates. Walking and swimming are wonderful choices (and cheap), but should be done briskly. Remember this: move more eat less.

Please remember this is just one way to deal with it. In general expect that you will have a couple of struggles. Just stay on it.

From a hermetic perspective, you will also get a variety of answers many of
which will be valid. Listen to that quiet voice you were talking about and feel for which ones ring true to you.

Wishing You the Best of Luck,
Simon