Re: mind frenzy

Message 03361 of 3835

Hi,

I, too, have dealt with some food addictions. I think that, as with
other addictions, the root issue is not in the food but in your
relationship with yourself. For long-term healing, I think it is
important to identify the mental/emotional reasons behind the
addiction. In terms of IIH, the astral soul-mirror work can be a
powerful ally, as that is exactly what you're supposed to do in Step
One: become aware of your positive and negative characteristics.
Once this has been done (without judgment or undue haste), the work
of dealing with these issues can begin. This is about self-
acceptance and about awareness of what-is.

In everyday life, this also means being aware of your own states of
mind. Fighting yourself doesn't work in the long run, and obviously
surrendering to your every craving isn't desirable either. A third
way is to become fully aware of what you are feeling, the conflict
of simultaneous and opposite mental states: I-want-to-eat vs. eating-
is-wrong or whatever. Become aware of the tremendous anxiety that
arises when you choose to eat or when you try not to eat. In such
circumstances, eating or otherwise fulfilling your addiction is
often a habitual way of getting away from the pain and fear and
anxiety. Once again, learning to see and accept what is there can
be very empowering; if you can learn to live with the anxiety rather
than trying immediately to escape it, you've put a little distance
between the feeling and the addictive behavior. It doesn't, at
first glance, translate into getting rid of the feelings; but I find
that anxiety feeds on itself, so that, paradoxically, simply by
becoming comfortable with the feeling of anxiety, it directly
reduces anxiety. And thereby it reduces or removes one primary
reason for escaping through addictive behavior.

Once again, I find Step One of IIH to be helpful. The very first
Mental exercise is about observing what is passing in the mind
without interfering with it.

In general, my opinion is that doing less is actually more effective
than trying to do more or fighting yourself.

David