Re: Excercise clarification

Message 03485 of 3835

Dear 'setiamon',

>> Regarding sense concentration,is visualization the same as sustained
remembering? I mean when i imagen a apple i find that i have to recall
it from the memory and sustain it by streaming it from my unconciouss if
i try and disconnect it from all other process it dissolves after a few
seconds,am i supposed to sustain a visualizations without consistently
remembering it? <<

While it's common to *start* the exercise by remembering something from
your past experience, you are ultimately learning how to *create* an
image, sound, smell, etc. In the end, you will need to be able to
create anything you can think of, not just the things you can remember.
It is to be *creative* not just mimicry or replication.

>> About step two when visualizing with the eyes open should this
visualization be projected outside or held within?I have no trouble
visualizing something in my mind while my eyes are open as long as it is
within me in which case is this excercise a turning of attension inward
making oneself disconnected from the physical stimuli that it
"disappears" or the inner mental visualization has overpowered it or
does this image have to be projected outward like on a table a few feet
infront of me which is very diffacult as the physical stimuli always
overrides it also having extreamly poor eyesight even with glasses i'm
not sure how projecting the image would be perfect(a fuzzy
visualizations?) <<

With the eyes open, the image is still *perceived* by the mind's eye but
it is to be perceived as an external thing -- for example, hovering a
meter in front of you. This is not about overriding the external
stimuli; but rather, it's about perceiving *both* simultaneously or
integrating your mind's eye perception with your physical eye's
perception.

>> third and final question... about one pointedness in any form say in
visualization is the goal to have that thought or idea ONLY in your mind
or the only thing noticed in your mind? for instance i'v found that i
can hold a single thing in my mind for pretty long before associating
thoughts come to the forefront and pull away from that thought which i
then put down,but i'v noticed even when maintain the thought perfectly
that there is background "thought" its just incomprehensable much like a
river in the distance in which my mind automaticly has tuned out,I find
i always stop the excercise to focus on this background thoughts outside
to squash it which destroys the excercise,is this background "thought"
or perception of mental activity to be surpressed or is it like the
physical stimuli in the visualization excercise?to be pushed into the
background by the main mental object in which case is the only thoughts
that are stops/crushed comprehensable forefront thoughts relating or not
relating to the excercise like "did i turn off the oven" etc?I Don't
know if i'v explained this anuff...its frusterating <<

I understand what you're asking. :) This harkens back to the very
first exercise. If pursued long and deeply enough, you will reach the
place of "quiet mind" or vacancy of mind. This occurs when one's
*detachment* from the thoughts reaches such strength that *no* energy is
given to those thoughts. Without that energy given to them, they cease
to exist or even arise, but this has nothing to do with *suppressing*
those thoughts. It's all about detachment from them and letting nature
take its course.

So with one-pointedness it's a matter of focusing upon your chosen
thought or thought train and *detaching* from everything else that might
arise in your mind. When your focus is strong enough, every other
thought is starved of the energy it would need to arise. Eventually,
*only* the chosen thought will exist in your mind but until then -- or
rather, the way to reach that point of absolute focus -- the thing to do
is ignore that undercurrent and detach from it by focusing all the
energy of your awareness upon your chose thought. Don't divert from
your main focus to suppress the undercurrent -- just let go of it.