RE: Re: What does it mean to become noble concerning passions?

Message 03531 of 3835

It's like realizing that knee-jerk responses which may have served well
in the past are now just emotional juvenile delinquents. When I'd
realize that I was choosing a response that five minutes later I'd
regret, I'd say to myself "Oh, there you are you
'yell-first-think-later' response! If I use you now, my kids will tune
me out next time and I'll feel guilty as soon as I shut up. I think
I'll just be quiet and think of another response." One of my early
resistance mechanisms was to think that by exercising self control and
making a different choice that would align w/ my mirror work, others
would think I was wishy-washy and soft. But actually, the amount of
awareness and discipline I had to muster was incredible. And, I found
that I was putting what others thought ahead of my own work - and in
nearly all cases, no one cared anyway! This realization was liberating.

BTW, I still slip, but now I can get over it much more quickly.
Sometimes, I think it's arrogance that keeps many wallowing in how awful
they think they are. I think that was my problem. I was loathe to let
go of being right that I was a horrible person. Because then what? I'd
actually have to be good ;-)

lori

And Jerry - Go Tribe!