Attention without tension

Message 03656 of 3835

Hey all,

I'm working on the first thought discipline exercise. It's a bit
overwhelming to me. I can disengage pretty well from my thoughts
when I sit down to meditate with the thought control, but then when
I jump back into the fray in my daily life, it seems that I just get
overrun. Any attempt to make my thoughts run only along certain
lines backfires and makes me even more unfocused. Force and tension
seem to be my habitual ways of getting myself in line, but those
only go so far.

I keep hearing that the mind should be coaxed, not forced, and that
focusing should ultimately be done without tension; but I don't have
a clear sense of how to get there. Any tips?

Thanks,
David

Main Index | Thread Index