Re: Attention without tension

Message 03674 of 3835

Dear David,

>> I keep hearing that the mind should be coaxed, not forced, and that
focusing should ultimately be done without tension; but I don't have a
clear sense of how to get there. Any tips? <<

I don't know if this is still an issue of concern for you but here's my
advice in any event. :)

Take the task incrementally. For example, begin with a commitment to
focus yourself exclusively upon the task at hand for five minutes. Once
you've mastered the ability for a five minute stretch, begin increasing
the duration of your focus. Try this with a variety of activities
throughout your daily routine. By approaching it in this way, you are
not overwhelmed by the prospect because you are dealing with a
manageable amount of time *at the outset*, instead of trying to
immediately deal with the prospect of hours at a stretch. Eventually,
you will find it an easy matter to focus your attention at will and for
as long as you desire.