Re: Attention without tension

Message 03678 of 3835

Hi Rawn,

> Take the task incrementally. ... By approaching it in this way, you
> are not overwhelmed by the prospect because you are dealing with a
> manageable amount of time *at the outset*, instead of trying to
> immediately deal with the prospect of hours at a stretch.

The problem I am having is not just that I feel overwhelmed by this
exercise, but that I can't quite figure out how to use my mind
differently ...

I actually have the ability to concentrate intensely for long
periods of time, but by using strong force or self-compulsion that I
hardly feel until I bring my attention back to my body (and feel the
tension and pain). I am guessing that this form of concentration
isn't very healthy. :) I'm having difficulty adjusting to a
different way of using my mind; at present when I try to concentrate
without applying this pressure, my attention is scattered and weak
and I feel at the mercy of the many other thoughts crowding me.

Applying the lessons of the thought control exercise seems to help
me at least to stay with what is happening in the present, and over
time seems to cause my mind to calm down and focus more. But I'm
not sure if that is correct, as it doesn't seem to quite get at the
end goal of the exercise. I can be aware of myself having
distracting thoughts while driving, but I'm not sure how to get
those thoughts out of my mind except by force, which seems self-
defeating.

What am I missing?

Also, I'm curious, is there some reason you omitted mention of this
exercise in A Bardon Companion?

Thanks,
David

Main Index | Thread Index